Friday, July 7, 2006

Carl Weathersby @ The Bistro

This past weekend was downright scan'lous. Friday night, I was planning on taking my lovely wife to the Mojo Lounge. Carl Weathersby was on the bill with Linda Shell. Due to a variety of circumstances, he was unable to make it. We were bummed out. Seeing Carl do his stuff in a club like the Mojo Lounge is about as close to a Midwest roadhouse as one will find west of the Mississippi River.

For some strange reason, I decided to check my e-mail at around 8:45. I had an e-mail from a friend of mine. Carl was in Hayward. I called him and he said he was heading down to The Bistro to hang out with the Caravan of All Stars. Before, I split I called Don Yonder and Barrelhouse Solly to let them know what was going on and I was out the door.

The scene at The Bistro was pretty quiet. Ronnie Stewart was leading a four piece band. After a few numbers, they invited Carl up to play a few songs. He started off with "I'll Play The Blues For You" followed by the not often heard, "Travelin' Man." Things got really quiet and he put on an amazing display of dynamics and tension during a haunting version of "Blues At Sunrise".

After returning from a short break, he started off the second set with "Don't Let The Green Grass Fool You." He strapped on a guitar and cranked up the tempo by launching into "Please Love Me." There weren't a lot of people in The Bistro, but he put on one helluva show. It was very intimate and personal.

He took a break and was following by "Willie G." He kept the audience moving with a couple of great R&B tunes before the evening was over.

No comments: