Friday, September 15, 2006

Pork Pie Phillips




Pork Pie Phillips

Pork Pie Phillips was a really nice guy. He passed away after a battle with cancer.

I met him down at the Mojo Lounge a few years ago. I had the opportunity to play with him several times. He was always very kind and supportive. He was a blast to talk with about Blues, classic cars, clothing and all sorts of stuff. He was a really nice guy and a very good singer. He was also a very good songwriter who wrote some very funny songs.

The last time that I saw him was at Hayward/Russell City. He had been sick. He told me that he was going to have heart surgery that he said was routine. For a guy that was sick, you wouldn't have known it by his performance in the 100+ degree heat. He sounded as good as ever.

I'll miss him.

Here is a nice tribute in the Vallejo Times Herald.

No comments: