Thursday, March 29, 2007

A Plan For The Big Time

A few weeks ago, I was running errands around town. I pulled into a parking lot at Safeway in Fremont. I had the windows open and one of those live Magic Slim CD's with the big booming bass was blasting from the stereo.

A young guy came up to me and asked, "What are you listening to?"

I replied, "Magic Slim and the Teardrops."

He asked, "Are they a rap group?"

My response, "No. They are a blues band from Chicago."

He said, "I never heard of them. I'm going to be a rap star, would you like to buy one of my CDs. All I need to do is get this CD into the hands of someone at a major record label and I'm going to be a big star."

I asked him, "Is it a struggle for you being a rapper in Fremont? Do you work a day job?"

He replied, "No. I don't work a day job. I don't need one, because all I need to do is get this CD into the hands of someone at a major record label and I'm going to be a big star."

I asked, "It sounds like you've got a plan, but I know people that have struggled their whole lives in the entertainment business, how are you going to be different."

He replied, "The difference is I'm going to be a big star."

As I walked away shaking my head, I couldn't help but think about his plan. Here is a kid selling CD's in the parking lot at Safeway in small town America looking for his big break.

It's so simple and yet so elegant.

It amazed me that no one had thought of this earlier. I haven't seen him since. He could be on MTV for all I know. For people that might be interested, it's the Safeway in downtown Fremont.

No comments: