Friday, November 6, 2009

It's Been A While

It's been a while since I've written anything here. I've seen and done a lot of really cool stuff since April. This past weekend, I went to the Horseman's Club up in Sacramento and caught a killer show which included: Carl Weathersby, Ronnie Baker Broooks, James Cotton and Hubert Sumlin.

Recently, I stumbled across about 60 cassette tapes filled with all sorts of old Blues tunes and some pretty cool concerts which were broadcast on the radio during the 1980's when I lived in the Chicago area.

I've found some recordings from Chicagofest featuring Muddy Waters, Eddy Clearwater, Mighty Joe Young, Buddy Guy, Junior Wells, Charlie Musselwhite w/ Big Walter Horton and several other artists. There are some kool performances from the Kool Jazz Festival which included some great performances by Billy Branch and the Sons of Blues with Jimmy Walker in 1982. In 1983, I recorded a performance by James Cotton, Sammy Lawhorn, Pinetop Perkins, Calvin Jones and Willie "Big Eyes" Smith. I remember seeing these guys on Christmas night for several years running at the Wise Fool's Pub in Chicago. That was always a great Christmas gift!

It's amazing what great stuff used to be on the radio back in the old days. I hope these tapes have survived the test of time.

No comments: