Saturday, September 3, 2005

Gary Smith & Kid Andersen @ The Poor House Bistro

Friday night, I got home from work a little early. After watching the news coverage of Hurricane Katrina, I decided that I needed to get out for a bit. I dragged my family down to the Poor House Bistro in San Jose. Gary Smith and Kid Andersen were playing. Hans Bosse and some bass player that I've never met rounded out the band. We arrived during the first set. The place was packed.

It seems like whenever Gary Smith plays anywhere in the Bay Area, harmonica players come out like cockroaches in the middle of the night. There were a bunch of them in the audience. During the second set, Gary brought a couple of them up to perform. Jimmy Dewrance and Gil deLeon played some very fine blues harmonica.

Anyway, the music was great. It was good to see Kid Andersen back after a summer of touring with Charlie Musselwhite. The owner of the Poor House Bistro is planning a big fund raising event for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. See their website for details.

No comments: