Wednesday, September 14, 2005

RJ Mischo's World Famous Blues Jam - 09/13 Edition




Freddie Roulette

Last night, I was planning on heading up to the Ivy Room to see Steve Freund. I was too blasted tired to make the drive up to Albany. I decided to go to the Mojo Lounge to catch the first set of R.J. Mischo's World Famous Blues Jam and then head home. The plan didn't quite work out.

When I arrived, I ran into RJ and Don Yonder talking in the parking lot. RJ mentioned that lap steel guitarist extraordinaire, Freddie Roulette was going to be playing. He sounded fantastic. I ended up staying most of the night.

The band for the evening consisted of RJ, Freddie Roulette, Kenny "Blue" Ray, Marc Carino and June Core.

It was a pretty busy night for harmonica players. There must have been about a dozen in the audience. Junior Morrow stopped in near the end of the evening and sang a few tunes. The highlight of the evening was listening to Junior sing the Albert King classic, I'll Play The Blues For You and hearing Freddie Roulette play a phenomenal Albert King-style solo on his steel guitar.

That was really cool!

No comments: